Updated December 6, 2019
Storage West Self Storage (“ Storage West”, “us”, “we”, or “our”) operates the storagewest.com website (“Website”) and the storagewest.com mobile application (“App”), and self-storage facilities and associated services for storing your personal, business, and/or commercial items (hereinafter collectively referred to as the “Services”).
- Services: Service means the storagewest.com Website and the storagewest.com App operated by Storage West, as well as Storage West’s storage locations, storage rental and moving services, and associated services.
- Personal Information: Personal Information means data about a particular individual or household that identifies, relates to, describes, could be reasonably linked with, or could be used to identify that person or household (or from those and other information either in our possession or likely to come into our possession). It also includes other information that may be associated with your Personal Information, such as your Usage Data (defined below), location, preferences or interests, if that information can be used to identify you, your household, or your device.
- Usage Data: Usage Data is data collected automatically either generated by the use of the Service or from the Service infrastructure itself (for example, your IP address or the duration of a page visit).
- Cookies: Cookies are small files stored on your device (computer or mobile device).
- Data Processors: Any natural or legal person who processes the data on behalf of the Data Controller. We may use the services of various Data Processors, such as cloud storage providers and other third party service providers, in order to process your data more effectively.
- User (or “Data Subject”): Any living individual who uses our Services and is the subject of the Personal Information collected and/or processed.
II. Information Collection
We collect several different types of information for various purposes to provide and improve our Service to you.
a. Types of Data Collected
We collect several different types of information for various purposes, to provide and improve our Services to you.
- Personal Information: Such Personal Information collected may include:
- Your name
- Your Address
- Email address
- Password and security question and answer to access your account
- Driver’s license and insurance information
- Social Security numbers
- Payment card information
- Contact information
- Cookies and Usage Data (to the extent that they can identify you)
- IP addresses
- Information that you choose to provide to us, and
- Any other information that may identify you.
Additionally, Storage West is always looking for new members to join our team. We may collect relevant information about you listed above in relation to an application for employment, along with additional information related to your experience, employment history, and qualifications for a position with Storage West.
- Usage Data: We may also collect information that your browser sends whenever you visit our Service or when you access the Service by or through a mobile device (“Usage Data”). This Usage Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our Service that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data. At times, the combination of various types of data, including Usage Data, may enable you to be identified, and may therefore qualify as Personal Information.
When you access the Services with a mobile device, this Usage Data may include information such as the type of mobile device you use, your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of your mobile device, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser you use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Examples of Cookies we use:
- Session Cookies. We use Session Cookies to operate our Services. Session cookies are temporary, and are automatically deleted once you close your Internet browser.
- Preference Cookies. We use Preference Cookies to remember your preferences and various settings. Preference cookies are first party cookies that remain on your computer or device until you delete them or they are otherwise removed upon expiration.
- Pixel Tags. Pixel tags and web beacons are tiny graphic images placed on website pages or in our emails that allow us to determine whether you have performed a specific action. When you access these pages or open or click an email, the pixel tags and web beacons generate a notice of that action. These tools allow us to measure response to our communications and improve our web pages.
- Other Technologies. We collect many different types of information from other technologies to improve the quality of our Website and the services we provide. For example, we may collect Usage Data and other information about the device you use to access our Website, your operating system and/or mobile device type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone where your device is located. We may record the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet.
Your Cookie Choices
b. Personal Information Collected over the Last 12 Months
- Please see the “Personal Information” section above for a list of the types of Personal Information we have collected over the last 12 months.
We provide paid products and/or services within the Services, such as our “Pay Rent Online” function, allowing you to make purchases and payments online. In that case, the third-party services we use for payment processing (e.g. payment processors) will collect your payment card information. Your payment card information is provided directly to our third-party payment processors whose use of your personal information is governed by their privacy policies, and not Storage West’s. Please note that we collect and/or store your payment card details in certain circumstances, such as when you pay your bill in person at a Storage West location, or sign up for our automatic payment program. However, your payment will still be processed by our payment processors and not by Storage West.
III. How We Collect Your Information
Storage West collects and obtains your information in a few ways: there is information that you choose to give us, information we obtain through your use of our Services – including our Website – and information we obtain from third parties.
a. Information You Give Us
We collect information that you decide to share with us. At times, we may require you to provide certain information – including Personal Information – in order to use certain parts of our Website, fulfill your requests with us, or provide you with certain Services. For instance, we may require you to provide your name, email address or other contact information when you contact us with a question or comment. If you establish an account with us, we may require you to provide your email address and create a password to access our Member Login portal at https://portal.storagewest.com/account/login.aspx. Additionally, we may need you to provide certain Personal Information to rent a storage unit with us, sign up for a membership, or to use other portions of our Services.
b. Information We Obtain When You Use Our Services
As noted above, we collect certain information from you through your use of our Services, such as Usage Data. For instance, in using our Website, we may collect information about the device you use to log into, access, and use the Website. We may collect other Generic Information in relation to how you use our Website or other Services (for example, aggregate metrics on how often certain pages on our Website are accessed and viewed).
We also may collect information through the use of cookie, pixel tags, or other technologies, as described above.
c. Information We Obtain from Other Sources / Third Parties
We may also obtain information about you from third parties who help us provide our Services to you. For example, we may obtain your Personal Information from third parties – such as your friends or family through Storage West’s 25/25 Referral Program.
The categories of other third parties from whom we may receive Personal Information include:
- Online marketing and sales providers (for example, Yelp, SpareFoot, etc.)
- Website analytics providers (for example, Google Analytics)
IV. Purposes for Collecting, Processing, and Using Your Information
a. Business and Other Purposes for Collection
Storage West collects, processes (or asks our service providers to process on our behalf), and uses your information to provide the Services we make available to you. We therefore will collect and use your information for a variety of reasons, including:
- To perform a contract with you – including renting and using a storage unit assigned to you – or provide those Services you have requested of Storage West (for instance, we need to collect and process your information when you rent a storage unit from us, sign up for online bill pay, etc., in order to provide those services to you).
- You have otherwise given us your consent and permission to do so (for example, you have provided your information in relation to our 25/25 Referral Program).
- For payment processing services related to your relationship with Storage West.
- To facilitate operational purposes in relation to the Services that we provide to you. These operational purposes may include but are not limited to:
- Undertaking tasks related to the operations of our Website and App, including the placement of ads and/or providing customized content to our users;
- Maintenance and improvement of our Services, including the Website and App;
- Detecting security incidents; and
- Protecting against and helping law enforcement to prosecute individuals responsible for malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity involving Storage West, our Services, and/or our customers.
- To facilitate other tasks in relation or necessary to our business functions and operations – such as the maintenance of your account with Storage West.
- To comply with applicable laws, in response to a lawful and enforceable request by a law enforcement, judicial, or other public authority, or in connection with an applicable legal obligation.
b. How We Use Your Information
Related to the business and other purposes for collecting your information listed above, Storage West uses your information to provide our Services to you, including our Website and App. For instance, we will use your information to facilitate your rental, assignment and use of a Storage West storage unit, register you with portal.storagewest.com, personalize your experience when you use our Website and other Services such as by customizing the content we provide to you to enhance your membership experience, and by fulfilling other requests made by you or related to your use of our Services.
Other additional uses of collected data include:
- To provide and maintain our Services.
- To notify you about changes to our Services.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our Service when you choose to do so.
- To provide customer support to you and our other members, customers, and visitors.
- To complete your payment for your storage rental or other Services we provide.
- To gather analysis or valuable information so that we can improve our Services.
- To monitor the usage of our Services.
- To detect, prevent and address technical issues.
- To provide you with news (for instance, via our newsletter), special offers, marketing or promotional materials, and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired, or which we believe may be of interest to you, unless you have opted not to receive such information. You may opt out of receiving any, or all, of these communications from us by contacting us at the contact information listed below.
- Various aspects of the Website, such as content on the Website, and email messages we send you in connection with your use of the Website may include advertisements that may be selected for you based on your demographic information, interests, preferences, and usage patterns within the Website.
- We may also use “automatically collected” information and “cookies” information to:
- personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Website;
- provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information;
- monitor and analyze the our effectiveness and third party marketing activities;
- monitor aggregate usage metrics such as total number of visitors, pages viewed, etc.; and
- track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
V. How We Disclose or Share Your Information
Storage West does not sell your information to any third party. However, Storage West may disclose your information in a number of ways in order to provide our Services to you. For instance, we may share your information with our third party service providers that facilitate the functions of our Website, such as our web hosting and cloud storage providers. We may also share or disclose your information to those third party service providers that facilitate our storage facility and moving services, and other amenities available to you, such as providing your credit card information to a third party payment processor when you make a storage rental payment to us to enroll in our automatic payment program.
We may also provide your Personal Information to service providers or contractors to perform functions on our behalf including companies or individuals hired to publish and operate the Website, communicate news, deliver our promotional materials via e-mail and direct mail, promote our social media presence and activities, develop, enhance, market, or provide any of our products, and assist us with sending communications and performing other marketing and support functions.
We may also disclose or share your information for the following purposes:
- To comply with a legal obligation.
- To protect and defend Storage West’s rights or property.
- To prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Services.
- To file insurance claims, in which your information is a necessary or required part of the claim.
- To protect the personal safety of users of the Services or the public.
- To protect against legal liability.
- When there is a good faith belief that such action is necessary to investigate or protect against harmful activities to our guests, visitors, associates, or property (including the Website), or to others (including Storage West itself). This may include disclosures to law enforcement to investigate potential criminal activity or other civil violations.
a. Categories of Third Parties that Receive Personal Information from Storage West
We share or otherwise disclose individuals’ information to the following categories of third parties:
- Service Providers: We employ third party service providers, companies, individuals, and agents to facilitate and help us provide our Services to you. Such Service Providers perform tasks or functions on our behalf, provide Services-related services, or assist us in analyzing how our Services are used or delivered. These third parties are granted access to your information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
- Other Storage West Entities: We may share or disclose your information to other Storage West entities.
- Marketers: We may also from time to time provide your information to marketing firms to help us provide information about our Services to you.
b. Categories of Personal Information Disclosed
Please see the “Personal Information” section above for a list of the types of Personal Information we have disclosed over the last 12 months.
c. Categories of Personal Information Sold
Storage West does not sell individuals’ information. Please note that a “sale” of Personal Information does not include those instances when such information is part of a merger, acquisition, or other transaction involving all or part of our business. If we sell all or part of our business or make a sale or transfer of assets or are otherwise involved in a merger or other business transaction, we may transfer your Personal Information to a third party as part of that transaction. If such transaction materially affects the manner in which your Personal Information is processed, we will notify you of such change prior to its implementation.
VI. Retention of Data
Storage West Self Storage will also retain Usage Data for internal analysis purposes. Usage Data is generally retained for a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our Services, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer periods.
VII. Transfer of Data
Storage West’s Services are offered and available to individuals in the United States of America. Your information, including Personal Information, may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ from those of your jurisdiction.
If you are located outside United States and choose to provide information to us, please note that we transfer the data, including Personal Information, to United States and process it there. If you are located in the European Union, you should be aware that U.S. data protection laws are not deemed to be as adequate as those in the European Union. Your submission of such information represents your agreement to that transfer.
VIII. Security of Data
The security of your data is important to us but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure, and destruction, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. By using or Website and Services, you acknowledge that there are data security and privacy limitations inherent to the use of the Internet, and that the security, integrity, and privacy of any and all information exchanged between you and Storage West, or between you and other related entities, cannot be guaranteed. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or that we store, and you do so at your own risk.
IX. Our Policy on “Do Not Track” Signals under the California Online Protection Act (CalOPPA)
We do not support Do Not Track (“DNT”). Do Not Track is a preference you can set in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable Do Not Track by visiting the Preferences or Settings page of your web browser.
We do not track consumers’
Third parties may collect data that relates to you. We cannot control third parties’ responses to do-not-track signals or other such mechanisms. Third parties’ use of data relating to you and responsiveness to do-not-track signals is governed by their respective privacy policies.
X. Your California Privacy Rights
California residents are afforded certain rights related to their information under state law. Storage West aims to take reasonable steps to allow California residents to correct, amend, delete or limit the use of your Personal Information, and exercise other rights available under applicable law. Storage West therefore informs you that, where applicable under relevant law, you are entitled to the following:
- Right to Access / Disclosure: to have access to your Personal Information upon simple request – that is, you may receive a copy of such data upon receipt of a verifiable request, along with other information related to the collection or processing.
- Disclosure of Direct Marketers: to have access upon simple request, and free of charge, the categories and names of addresses of third parties that have received Personal Information for direct marketing purposes. Please see the “Your California Privacy Rights” section below for more information.
- Collecting, Selling, Sharing, or Disclosing Personal Information: upon receipt of a verifiable request, to obtain a list of:
- The specific pieces of your Personal Information Storage West holds;
- The categories of Personal Information collected about you, sold to third parties, or disclosed to third parties for business purposes;
- The categories of Personal Information sold within the last 12 months;
- The categories of sources from which Personal Information is collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling Personal Information; and
- The categories of third parties with whom Personal Information is shared, sold, or disclosed for a business purpose.
- Right to Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information: As noted, elsewhere, Storage West does not sell individuals’ Personal Information. California residents have the right under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) to opt-out of the sale of their Personal Information under certain circumstances.
- Right to Deletion / “Right to be Forgotten”: to obtain the deletion of your Personal Information in the situations set forth by applicable data protection law and upon receipt of a verifiable request.
- Right to Data Portability: to have your Personal Information directly transferred by us to a third-party processor of your choice (where technically feasible; may be limited to situations when processing is based on your consent).
- Right to Non-Discrimination. As defined under relevant law, you have a right to non-discrimination in the Services or quality of Services you receive from us for exercising your rights.
Please contact us at the information in “Contact Us” Section below in relation to exercising these rights. Note that we may ask you to verify your identity before responding to such requests.
XI. Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have the right to request information from us regarding the manner in which we share certain categories of personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, in addition to the rights set forth above. Under California law, you have the right to send us a request at the designated address listed below to receive the following information:
- the categories of information we disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year;
- the names and addresses of the third parties that received the information; and
- if the nature of the third party’s business cannot be determined from their name, examples of the products or services marketed.
To make such a request, please provide sufficient information for us to determine if this applies to you, and attest to the fact that you are a California resident. Please also provide a current California address for our response. You may make this request in writing to us at the below address. Any such request must include “California Privacy Rights Request” in the first line of the description, and include your name, street address, city, state and ZIP code. Please note that we are only required to respond to one request per customer each year, and we are not required to respond to requests made by means other than through the address provided for this purpose below.
Note that responsive information may be provided in a standardized format that is not specific to you.
XII. Analytics & Remarketing Services
We may use third-party Service Providers to monitor and analyze the use of our Website.
Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a web analytics service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. Google uses the data collected to track and monitor the use of our Website. This data is shared with other Google services.
For more information on Google’s privacy practices, please visit the Google Privacy & Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en.
Google Ads (AdWords). Google Ads (AdWords) remarketing service is provided by Google Inc.
You can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize the Google Display Network ads by visiting the Google Ads Settings page: http://www.google.com/settings/ads.
Google also recommends installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on – https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout – for your web browser. Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on provides visitors with the ability to prevent their data from being collected and used by Google Analytics.
For more information on the privacy practices of Google, please visit the Google Privacy Terms web page: https://policies.google.com/privacy?hl=en
Facebook. Facebook remarketing service is provided by Facebook Inc. You can learn more about interest-based advertising from Facebook by visiting this page: https://www.facebook.com/help/164968693837950
To opt-out from Facebook’s interest-based ads, follow these instructions from Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217
Facebook adheres to the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising established by the Digital Advertising Alliance. You can also opt-out from Facebook and other participating companies through the Digital Advertising Alliance in the USA http://www.aboutads.info/choices/, the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada in Canada http://youradchoices.ca/ or the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance in Europe http://www.youronlinechoices.eu/, or opt-out using your mobile device settings.
For more information on the privacy practices of Facebook, please visit Facebook’s Data Policy: https://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation
We also use the remarketing services of other providers, such as Yelp, to help us provide our Services to you.
XIII. Links to Other Sites
We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, privacy policies or practices of any third party sites or services.
XIV. Children’s Privacy
All of our Services, including our Website, are intended for adult audiences, and are not meant to address anyone under the age of 18 (“Children”). As such, Children under 18 may not use our Website. If you are under 18, do not attempt to register for or use any of our Services, including our Website, and do not provide us any Personal Information about yourself.
XVI. Submitting a Verifiable Request to Storage West
As mentioned above, California residents have certain rights to access, correct, delete, or otherwise control the use, collection, and/or disclosure of their information. Storage West will respond to an individual’s “verifiable request” to exercise his or her rights under such laws – that is, where Storage West has received a request purporting to be from a particular individual, and Storage West has been able to verify the individual’s identity. The need to verify an individual’s identity is critical to protecting your information, and ensuring that your information is not shared with anyone pretending to be you or someone who is not authorized to act as your agent on your behalf.
You may submit a verifiable request via our email address, mailing address, or toll-free number, listed in the “Contact Us” section below, or as otherwise provided on our Website or App (if such means are available). Storage West will ask you to provide information about yourself so that we can verify your identity as part of this process. This information may include your name, your address, your account information, information related to your storage unit, and any other information deemed necessary by Storage West to reasonably verify your identity, to ensure that your information is not shared with anyone impersonating you.
We may ask for additional information if we have difficulty confirming your identity. We will not share your information or honor other requests in those situations in which we are unable to confirm a request for your information is a “verifiable request.”
Please note under California law that a consumer can appoint an “authorized agent” to make certain verifiable requests upon their behalf, such as the right to know what information we collect about the consumer or to request deletion of the consumer’s information. Because the security and privacy of your information is paramount, we will ask that you identify and provide permission in writing for such persons to act as your authorized agent and exercise your applicable rights under California law in such situations. This may require us to contact you directly and alert you that an individual has claimed to be your agent and is attempting to access or delete your information. We will also independently verify your identity to ensure that an unauthorized person is not attempting to impersonate you and exercise your rights without authorization. We will not share your information or honor any other requests in those situations where you cannot or do not grant permission in writing for an identified authorized agent to act on your behalf, or where we cannot independently verify your identity.
XVII. Contact Us
- By webform: https://www.storagewest.com/customer-privacy-request/
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By telephone: 833-826-4622
- By mail Attn: Storage West; 431 West Seventh Street; Los Angeles, CA 90014-1601
To Complete a Rights Request (California Residents)
As noted above, California residents and EU data subjects have certain rights in relation to their personal information. Such individuals can exercise their rights to their Personal Information by contacting us using the methods detailed above. Please note that we will only process valid rights requests as they apply to California residents and EU data subjects.
As part of your rights request, you will need to identify which rights request you wish to make:
- Disclose the categories of personal information about me that Storage West has collected.
- Disclose the specific personal information about me that Storage West has collected.
- Disclose the categories of personal information about me that Storage West has shared with third parties; or
- Delete my personal information.
Additionally, you will need to provide the following information so that we can validate your identity:
- Your First, Middle and Last Name (include your name at the time of rental as well if different from current);
- The phone number used at the time of rental, reservation or inquiry.
- Your full home address at the time of rental, reservation or inquiry.
- Zip code at the time of rental, reservation or inquiry.
- A valid current contact telephone number.
- The location of the Storage West facility where you rented, reserved or inquired about a unit.
- Your Unit # if applicable
- The Email Address your provided at the time of rental, reservation or inquiry
- A valid contact Email Address if different from the email provided at the time of rental, reservation or inquiry.
- Please provide a copy of your rental agreement if applicable.
The information we gather from your submission will only be used for validation purposes and will be deleted after your identity is verified. If we are unable to verify your identity, we will be unable to honor your requests.
Additionally, if you made a request for the specific pieces of information collected about you, or if you made a request to delete your information, we will need you to also separately provide a written declaration signed under penalty of perjury (such as a notarized declaration) that you are the person to whom the request relates. Please provide your written declaration to us at the postal address above.