I am sure everyone who has held Bubble Wrap in their hands has popped a few bubbles intentionally or unintentionally.
I confess that I have been on more than my share of popping frenzies myself. I love the way it sounds, the bigger the pop the better. I have popped it with my hands and stopped on it with my feet. I have even wrung it out like a wet towel to produce rapid sound. It just amazes me to find out there are people who have never had the pleasure of this fun event.
Here are some great and fun facts about Bubble Wrap that might surprise you.
- Bubble Wrap was created by two men, Marc Chavannes and Alfred Fielding. These men set out to make the first texturized wallpaper this was attempted by sealing forced air in between two plastic shower curtains. Although this invention failed because of the obvious, they were very successful in creating a great product that we have been using since 1959.
- This year is the 60th year anniversary on the 50th they made the bubble wrap in gold color and celebrated with a cold color cake dressed in white frosting.
- In 2015 the air force and even some surrounding elementary schools went on lockdown for safety after it was mistaken as rapid gunfire.
- In the year 2015 the Girl and Boy Scouts came together to beat the Guinness World Record in Denver Colorado by 2,681 of them standing arm to arm and popping the Bubble Wrap.
- The name Bubble Wrap is actually the trademark name, the real name is Sealed Air.
- In 1960 out of the need to transport IBM computers for safety and security, Bubble Wrap as we now it now had its official use.
- Bubble Wrap has a following online.
There are so many uses and needs for this product I couldn’t begin to list them all. But for the past 60 years we have seen them from the simplest to the most extreme. It uses are enlist from art work to transportation supplies. It has been in magazines on actors to represent clothing. It has been used as insulation. It has been tested to comfort falls. I found it interesting to discover that it has a use in the release of stress, in fact according to Mental Health studies for every one minute you pop the Bubble Wrap it is said to be equals to a 33 minute massage.
If you have not been following the Bubble Wrap craze you would be surprised to find it comes in many colors as well as shapes. You can order it online for any occasion. But if you love this product as much as I do you will be surprised to find that the new Bubble Wrap is not made to pop it is now covered in breakage protection. So you can say that Bubble Wrap that we use to protect items needs a little protection of its own.
Storage West – Scottsdale