When you’re moving from one place to another, packing is an important task. You need to be methodical and organized and it’s essential to have the right packing materials.
Should You Use Free Boxes?
A lot of people try to save money when they’re moving by getting free boxes from friends or from local stores.
Free boxes can be a good option, especially if you’re only moving a short distance. For example, most grocery stores and liquor stores will supply you with boxes if you ask.
Boxes that are designed to carry wine and liquor bottles are very good for packing delicate items such as glassware, stemware, and vases. They typically have internal compartments that prevent breakable things from clanking against one another.
Grocery boxes can also be useful. For example, many produce boxes consist of two halves that fit together with build-in handle openings on the size. They’re easy to carry and usually quite sturdy.
However, there are some potential issues you should be aware of.
- Free boxes may not be in the best condition. For example, a leak in a grocery or liquor box could weaken the cardboard and make it unsuitable for moving anything heavy or breakable.
- You may be limited in your size choices when you rely on free boxes. Many grocery boxes are too large to pack full of heavy items such as books.
- If you are shipping items during your move, you will not be able to use branded boxes to ship. To use a box to mail via the US Postal Service, all marking and previous labels must be removed or completely blacked out. However, regular packing boxes with “This Side Up” markings are allowed.
The takeaway here is that you should be cautious reusing boxes, especially if they will be used to pack heavy or fragile items.
Where to Get Moving Boxes
The alternative to reusing boxes is to buy moving boxes. There are several places where you can expect to find moving boxes for sale:
- Most moving companies sell moving boxes and other moving supplies.
- You can also buy moving boxes at office supply stores and at some department stores (think Target, not Macy’s.)
- Most storage companies and self-storage units stock an array of moving supplies, including moving boxes, packing materials, tape, markers, and more.
When you buy new moving boxes, you can be sure that you’re getting a sturdy box that won’t be compromised during your move. It’s important to choose the right size box for what you’re moving. For heavy items, it’s best to use smaller boxes to control the total weight and make them easy to move.
At Storage West, we sell moving boxes and other moving supplies at every one of our storage facilities. Our on-site managers can help you decide which size box is best for your needs. And, if you’ve purchased our special Here for You Guarantee, you can get up to 50% off on moving boxes and supplies, this includes our high-crush strength boxes, premium packing supplies and protective coverings.
Looking for a storage space for before or after a move? Click here to review our available spaces and make a reservation!