The problem with using your garage as a storage space is that it’s very easy for things to get out of control. If all you do is pile things onto the floor, you can reach a point where there’s no room for your car. The solution is to fit your garage with tons of shelves so you can have plenty of storage, as well as a safe place for your vehicle. Here are some suggestions to try.
- If all you need is a little extra shelf space for random items, try attaching small wire baskets to the walls instead of installing shelves. Baskets are perfect for things that you might not otherwise have space to store in the garage, including extra bottled water, small sports equipment like baseballs and mitts, or even pantry items like onions. The wire lets you easily see what you have stored, and you can attach them in just a few minutes.
- If you already have shelves and there’s a lot of unused headspace between them, try saving some old peanut butter jars to use as storage containers. All you need to do is screw the lids to the bottoms of your shelves, and then use the jars themselves to store nails, screws, and other small items. When you need an item, all you need to do is remove the jar from the lid. Another option for small items is to install a magnetic strip beneath a shelf and use jars with metal lids.
- If you don’t want to install traditional shelving, try attaching a pegboard to the wall and then attach cans to it to use as storage containers. You can easily use them to corral small objects like screwdrivers, pens, or paintbrushes – and you can even decorate the cans if having an attractive display is important to you. Pegboards are also useful for hanging tools.
- Do you need someplace to store your rakes, hoes, and other garden tools? One neat trick is to nail two thin strips of wood to the wall. Attach them parallel to one another, with one about a foot above the other. Next, attach lengths of PVC pipe vertically between the two pieces of wood. The pipe is the perfect vehicle to hold your tools in place – simply slide the handles through the pipe and they’ll hang neatly, ready for you to use whenever you need them.
- To make an interesting and rustic-looking place to hang tools and other items, try painting a simple wooden pallet and mounting it on the wall. All you have to do is attach hooks and you can use it to as a quick and easy storage solution.
- Are you doing a lot of home improvement? If so, you might need a way to corral extra pieces of pipe and trim. Instead of keeping them on the floor, try bolting two triangular pieces of lattice to the wall. The holes in the lattice make the perfect place to store pipe and other trim – simply slide them through one piece of lattice and into the other.
- If you need more storage space than you have, try creating suspended shelves that hang from the ceiling. Using simple brackets and plywood, you can create storage space out of thin air. Ceiling shelves are best for storing rarely-used seasonal items like Christmas ornaments and decorations.
With a little bit of creativity and innovation, you can take your crowded garage and turn it into a neat and organized storage space.