Moving to a new location can be very stressful. To help make your transition easier, Storage West offers a free service to help customers with relocation. To better serve you, please take a few moments to complete this short survey so we can provide you with information on the topics that interest you most in the area that you are relocating to.
Call Us Toll Free: 877-917-7990
Packaging and Labeling:
- Label boxes by numbers and the room to be placed. Never label the outside of the box with the contents. Keep a separate master list with this information along with information from your storage space. Mark “Fragile” on all boxes with breakables.
- Use your dresser drawers for fragile items, collectibles and anything small or breakable. Wrap them in tissue paper, tape and mark them. Pad with towels, sheets, and bedding. Do not use printed newspaper to pack with; the ink may smudge off on your items. Do not use shredded paper where the pieces might cause damage if unable to remove easily.
- To save space, fill interiors of appliances with stuffed toys, blankets, towels and bulky soft items. Stuff blankets and bath towels in the washing machine and dryers. Put toys, and etc. in the refrigerator and freezer.
- Label each box on all four sides with numbers and seal them with tape.
Storing in the unit:
- Be sure to store frequently used items at the front of the unit for easy access. Store valuable items in the rear of the unit. Appliances should be clean and dry. Keep refrigerator and freezer door slightly open. Remove all food items and discard all perishable foods. Remove dirty vacuum cleaner bags and discard.
- Store mattresses and box springs on the long edges. Wrap for protection and elevate off the floor if possible.
- Disassemble beds and mark the pieces so that they are easy to reassemble.
- Pack books in small boxes so the maximum weight is no more than 30 lbs. Alternate bindings and cushion them with packing paper.
- Pictures and mirrors should be wrapped in cardboard boxes and marked “Fragile”. Stand them upright… never flat.
- Electronics such as computers and stereos (items with numerous cables), use color stickers at each end of the cable when removing for ease in reconnecting after your move. If you don’t have the original packing box, store in box with ‘breathing room’, don’t use shrink-wrap on these. Be careful not to place more boxes on top of these boxes.
- Wax wood furniture before storing, this helps the wood retain moisture to avoid drying out. Use sheets or cotton to cover furniture.
- Never store anything in sealed plastic bags, especially in non-a/c storage. The humidity may cause mildew and damage to your goods.
- When storing wool items use cedar chips or mothballs. Keep out of season clothes in separate boxes and marked. Never store dirty clothes… wash and clean them first.
- It is against the law to store hazardous or combustible materials such as gasoline, cleaning fluids, paint, etc. Drain all gasoline from lawnmowers, power tools etc. before storing.
- Do not stack heavy items against the walls of the unit. Place them so they won’t shift or collapse, if possible. Leave a small space between the goods stored and the unit’s walls.
Need More Relocation Information? Check out the Links below…